Nothing improves my mood like a trip to Bargain Books, especially since I don’t often go there. Today, I found myself in the neighborhood unexpectedly, so with an iced mocha latte from the Starbucks next door, I spent a lovely hour browsing the tables in this carvernous warehouse. Besides myself, there was only one other customer, and it was blissfully cool and quiet.
I really had no intention of buying anything (alright, you can stop laughing now), but I simply couldn’t resist these finds, each for less than $5.00:
- Dance of the Happy Shades, Alice Munroe: “In these stories, the deceptive calm of small town life is brought memorably to the page, revealing the countryside of Southwestern Ontario to be home to as many small sufferings and unanticipated emotions as any place”;
- Jane Kenyon, A Literary Life, John Timmerman: The forces and influences that shaped Kenyon’s poetry and life, drawing on her unpublished journals and papers, as well as reflections from her husband, poet Donald Hall;
- I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith: This is a classic novel, telling the story of Cassandra and her family, who live in “not-so-genteel proverty in a ramshackle old English castle.” I’ve heard so many great things about this book, yet never managed to read it;
- Sylvia and Ted, Emma Tennant: A fictional recreation of the turbulent courtship, marriage, and separation of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes. I’ve long been somewhat of a scholar of Plath’s life and writing, so I’m looking forward to this one;
- Starting Out in the Evening, Brian Morton: A novel intertwining the stories of three people, a young graduate student, the elderly author who is the subject of her thesis, and his tender and vulnerable daughter. A “rare and beautiful story that is at once comic, insightful, and moving.”
I’ve been dawdling a bit on Bridge of Sighs, trying to keep it from ending…perhaps with all these lovely reads awaiting me, I won’t be quite so sad to close the cover on that story.
Now tell me, have you read any of these books? Did you buy any books this weekend?